PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel or tag-along and why???

ScubaSteve
01-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I looing into buying another travel trailer- leaning towards a 5th wheel this time because of the inside head room. What are the positives and negatives of a 5th wheel trailer?
Thanks!

King Monza
01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
pop-ups. my family has had one for years. lots of room, easy to maneuver with and it doesn't kill your gas mileage.

bowtiewins
01-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Fifth wheels and goose necks tow a lot nicer than tags and you can get a longer trailer with the same foot print.

ScubaSteve
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I've got a 26' tag along now, thinking of upgrading. Guess i just gotta make sure my truck can pull it, those 5th wheels weigh alot more!!!!

MrOverkill
01-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I like the way goose necks tow, but I guess it kinda depends on the tow vehicle. I've towed a 38ft goose neck deal with an 05 Duramax 2wd crew cab dually and its always stayed in its own lane, also yanked a 25ft Cat behind the same truck and its a little less stable though both towed very nice behind that truck. I towed the same boat with my 06 F350 and didnt like it, not sure if it was the fact it was lifted and didnt have sway control but it wasnt so fun to keep in your lane for some reason....

Mikey R.
01-19-2009, 12:48 PM
If you go 5th wheel make sure its the kind that comes out easy when you need to haul stuff in the bed. With goosenecks and 5th wheels the trailer cuts off the turn it doesn't follow the truck like a tag. So make wide turns!!! With a 5th wheel or goose you can get a bigger better trailer with more goodies and pop outs.

BigBlockBailey
01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
For camping I have always liked the tag along set-up because you can still throw a shit load of fire wood in the bed of the truck and not have a mess in the trailer... but then again I REALLY like the floor plans with most 5th wheels better.

Philm
01-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Steve,

We started the trailer thing with a 26' toy hauler. It was great for what it was, but we do a lot of camping along the west coast. So we opted for a fifth wheel. More bang for th buck, tows better, it is bigger, but I can put my 30' fifth wheel in spaces smaller than my 26' toy hauler. The main box is the same size, but the kingpin set up makes backing up easier.

The fifth wheel weighs about 4000 pounds more than the tag, but tows better and even with the higher roof height, I get about the same mileage.

The down side for us is that we have to tow the dirt bikes behind it when we bring them along, but I have a commercial classs A lisc, so other than having limited backing up ablilities when the small trailer is behind it, we got 3x the comfort with the unit we have vs a comp. toyhauler that was 10' longer.

It is not top of the line, more middle of the road, but after 20k miles and 3 years, we have had zero problems.

Here are some pics:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mcgraph/Aug2007026.jpg

I also augmented the battery capicity as we almost never stay at a campground. We have a portable genny, but that only gets ran to make coffee...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mcgraph/P3110163.jpg